I'm not racist... I hate everyone equally

it's true though.. I'm not a racist as I really do hate everyone. Although not all the time.. mostly when I'm driving home and people are driving like little old bitties and I wish I had a tank so I could ram them all off the road and be on my merry way... but wait.. no, I didn't mean that. (yes I did)

Anyhow... it's time for Thursday Tunes! This weeks tune is an oldie but a goodie.. and it has a message I think we could all take to heart.




Sly & The Family Stone - Everyday People

Sometimes I'm right and I can be wrong
My own beliefs are in my song
The butcher, the banker, the drummer and then
Makes no difference what group I'm in
I am everyday people, yeah yeah
There is a blue one who can't accept the green one
For living with a fat one trying to be a skinny one
And different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby dooby doo-bee
Oh sha sha - we got to live together
I am no better and neither are you
We are the same whatever we do
You love me you hate me you know me and then
You can't figure out the bag l'm in
I am everyday people, yeah yeah
There is a long hair that doesn't like the short hair
For bein' such a rich one that will not help the poor one
And different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby dooby doo-bee
Oh sha sha-we got to live together
There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one that won't accept the white one
And different strokes for different folks


I like this song for a multitude of reasons.. partly for its plea for peace and equality and mostly for lyric in the song "scooby dooby doo" cuz who doesn't want to sing a good scooby dooby do?

This song is all about peace, love and happiness between racial and social barriers... and it was at a time when that kind of thinking was really popular. It's done in a fun and "pop" style way which made it popular in its time (#1 on the US Billboard Hot 100 for 4 weeks in 1969).. but also is still popular today.

The message to me is more than just peace, love and happiness.. it's about doing your own thing and no judgement. It falls in line with a life motto I've tried to live my life to for years now:

do what makes you happy!
as long as you're not hurting yourself or anyone else.. unless they're into that sort of thing.. in which case it's all good!


I've said that for years now and it holds as true as the day I first uttered it.

You don't believe in abortion? fine, but don't impede my rights to have one if I choose.

You don't believe in spanking? fine, but don't impede my rights to spank my (hypothetical future) children when they are being brats.

You don't like S&M (and no I don't meant the Rhianna song)? fine, but don't judge me for wanting to get it on all handcuffs and blindfolds style.


Basically it comes down to not making decisions for other people that don't affect your life personally... or judging anyone for their life choices. It may not be something you agree with or believe in but the bottom line is, it's not your life and therefore not your choice.

I'm not much of a religious person .. I do believe in a higher power but I'm not completely sold on the idea of god. Though I do agree with some of the teachings that I learned from reading the bible (and yes I have read it front to back and I did go to Bible Camp).

I think people have forgotten things like The Golden Rule and Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged... and other such teachings from the bible. That or they've just twisted them and bent them to fit their own belief system or when its convenient for them... which is, IMO.. probably not what god (if there is one) intended.

The Golden Rule - treat others how you'd like to be treated so even if the snotty bitch at work is constantly condesending and rude to me, I will smile and always great her kindly when she comes into the office in the mornings.

Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged - yes I just ate an entire container of Ben & Jerry's...... wanna make something of it?




Well.. now that I'm done going off on a crazy tangent that may or may not be related to PMS and the fact that the 1 year anniversary of my mums death is coming up soon... enjoy the song!

And eat some scooby snacks!

SCOOBY DOOBY DOO!

Comments

  1. Now I am singing that song in my head :).

    I try to live in a similar way and these days I also find myself disregarding others because I just don't have time to care what they are doing or if they care what I do. It's my life and it's complicated. I'm not malicious or anything, just more dismissive than I used to be. I do also feel that what you do comes back to you (karma and whatnot) so I do as much as I can for those I love and those they love.

    It could just be Mercury in retrograde that is bringing out all these crazy tangents because I'm having similar thoughts and feelings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur

pounding, pounding....

you know you want to pee your pants with me.