memories made of chocolate...

I know as children we make memories of times with our parents.. some of them are bad.. like the time  our parents spanked us .. but most of them are good.

One particular memory is of my mum and I baking together... it didn't happen as much when I was a kid.. but rather as I grew older and could appreciate the need for chocolate.

There was one particular recipe that my mum and I always defaulted to when we were both feeling low, and I can remember many nights sitting together waiting for our warm, gooey happiness to bake.

It's called brownie pudding... for any of you who have never heard of it .. which is apparently a lot of you because whenever I've mentioned it, almost everyone gasps and immediately asks me what it is.. and why they hadn't heard of it before.

Brownie Pudding is SUPER easy and takes relatively little ingredients which is why it's a good go-to when you're feeling like something warm and gooey but don't want to spend hours in the kitchen.


The recipe is as follows:

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa (or instant hot cocoa mix)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons salad oil (I use vegetable oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I always leave these out cuz I hate nuts in my brownies)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa (again you can use instant hot cocoa mix)
1 3/4 cups hot water (boiling)

Sift together the first 5 ingredients; add milk, oil and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Stir in nuts. Pour into greased 8x8x2 baking pan. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over batter. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Makes 6-8 servings (or one if you're me)

I know it seems weird to pour the hot water concoction on top of the batter.. just pour lightly.. and if it breaks the surface of the batter.. it doesn't matter.. it always turns out fine in the end. Besides.. it's supposed to be all ooey and gooey and messy... it's better that way.

That recipe is straight out of my mothers Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book from the 70's... lol... and the recipe is still as good now as it was then.

see for yourself!

pic I posted to twitter

Hope you all enjoy the recipe as much as I have over the years... and go ahead.. make it with your kids... those memories last a lifetime.

miss you mum!

Comments

  1. Looks delicious! I think I may have made it before ... My recipe says it was used in the war because it didn't use butter and eggs and only a small amount of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. makes total sense.... I like it cuz it's quick, easy and delicious.

      Delete
  2. Mmm, once I have the guts to get in the kitchen and make something, for once, then I'll use this recipe =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crap. Now my stomach is growling. That looks yummo!...did I just make yummo up, or does someone else use this cool word already. Yummo. Dibs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur

pounding, pounding....

you know you want to pee your pants with me.